[Accessforall] [Architecture] Codes for languages in ISO 24751 and the registry

Denis Anson danson at misericordia.edu
Thu Oct 4 15:53:02 EDT 2012

I suspect that some of the subtleties of this discussion are extraneous to the issue at hand.  While there are some 6500 "living" languages in the world, the issue for AT selection is the languages that are supported by the AT, which I suspect to be a much smaller number.  According to www.ling.gu.se<http://www.ling.gu.se>, around 3000 of those languages are spoken by fewer than 10,000 people, and the likelihood of any AT being personalized for that small a population is minimal.  We need to be able to link the user to an AT that shares at least one language with them.  Outside the US, the incidence of multilingual people is fairly high, I think.

Denis Anson, MS, OTR
Director of Research and Development
Assistive Technology Research Institute
Misericordia University