[Accessforall] Technical mechanism for mailing lists archive movement

Andy Heath andyheath at axelrod.plus.com
Tue Mar 27 20:45:58 UTC 2012

Colin/Kasper,

Following on from the point about preserving the list archives in the
new list - its not difficult - I ran mailman list servers for about 10
years and often had to do it but its a few years since I did - as I
remember the way to do it is to move mail files around, massage their
contents (e.g. with sed/awk/whatever) so they work with the new list,
concatenate them (I was using one mail file per list - it may be
different now but still not too bad to do) then regenerate the archives
- I can't remember the name of the archiver.

I'd be happy to do this but would need full access (e.g. to build a new
list to experiment on to get it right - as I said its a few years since
I did it). For someone unix-proficient and mailman-proficient its 10
minutes work.