[Accessforall] Introduction (was Re: Inclusive Technologies through Intelligent Adapation work)

Matthew Tylee Atkinson M.T.Atkinson at lboro.ac.uk
Wed Mar 14 17:35:16 UTC 2012

Dear AccessForAll,

I'm writing following my listen-in of last night's conference call in order to introduce myself and Sus-IT [1] more fully.  I was quite constrained time-wise last night, and I noted there was a lot to get through in the meeting, hence I thought now would be a better time.  Thanks once again for the opportunity -- it was an interesting discussion and I hope to get up-to-speed and contribute in future.

I met Andy Heath, as per his recent post, at a Sus-IT project workshop on Monday.  Sus-IT is a UK project seeking to sustain the autonomy of older ICT users (not to get them online, but supporting quality online participation over time, and reducing the chances of abandonment or disengagement).  I work in one work package of this project and our goal is to develop technical means to match people to appropriate "adaptations" -- application/OS settings and Assistive Technologies.  This mapping is largely based on human capabilities, though the developed reasoning process also takes the effects of and trade-offs between adaptations into account.  To get a flavour of what we're doing (which is designed not just for older people but anyone experiencing minor-to-moderate and possibly conflicting accessibility barriers), there are links below to a couple of our papers [2] [3].  In fact David Sloan (whom I think some of you may know in relation to ISO 24751) met Gregg at W4A 2010 when that earlier work was presented; things have moved on since then and we are now in the dissemination phase of the project.

We also have a paper in the W4A 2012 conference that Andy's seen and thinks that we could perhaps contribute towards the GPII project -- we'd love to do so once it's been published in mid-April.  It was on this basis that he suggested we learn more about and get involved in the standardisation process.

I will be off work for a few weeks now due to a leg operation.  My colleague, Matthew Bell, whom works on these profiling techniques alongside Sus-IT, would also like to be involved and may be able to listen in on your meetings too, if this is OK.

Thanks for your time and we look forward to catching up and contributing in future.

best regards,

Matthew

[1] <http://www.newdynamics.group.shef.ac.uk/sus-it.html>
[2] <http://hdl.handle.net/2134/6262> (rationale for adaptations; project detail)