[Accessforall] Task Force on Context Description - Definition of Context

Claudia Loitsch claudia.loitsch at tu-dresden.de
Wed Jun 27 11:00:30 UTC 2012

Hello all,

For our discussion on context description it is necessary to have a look
on existing definitions especially to find correct terms. I found a
paper that proposes a structured definition of the term context as well
as an overview of other definitions and concepts.After reading this
paper I am convinced we should either find a more exact term what we are
trying to define/collect (e.g. influenced spatial and temporal
situation) or consider the context as a characterization of a user
situation, for example, as defined by Dey ("Context is any information
that can be used to characterize the situation of an entity") and
Zimmerman respectively.

I recommend having a look on the paper you can find attached or on the
following link: http://www.springerlink.com/content/95573j68g0g315j9/

Furthermore I summarized some relevant facts from the paper in the
document Context_Definitions.doc

Kind regards

Claudia

--