[Accessforall] Meeting on Context Description tomorrow at 2pm CET

Vassilis Koutkias vkoutkias at certh.gr
Tue Jun 26 08:23:18 UTC 2012

Dear all,

here is a first contribution from my side concerning context description
(mostly originated from the pervasive and ubiquitous computing domain).

First, it is important to share a common understanding of the notion of
context. The attached Table presents a quite common classification of
the types of context proposed by Stefan Poslad. In essence, 6 types are
identified related with the questions: /what, who, where, when, how it
is accessed/ and /why it is useful/. At a higher level, the Table groups
the above questions into four categories, i.e.: /Physical/, /Human/,
/ICT, Goal/.
In accordance with this categorization, we defined a similar subclass
hierarchy for the Condition class of the User Profile Ontology
(http://wiki.gpii.net/index.php/File:Conditions_v4.png - more
details:http://wiki.gpii.net/index.php/Ontologies).

With respect to context description per se, a recent review paper on
context modeling (and reasoning) is the following:
http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.pmcj.2009.06.002
If you do not have access via the above link, you may find a pre-print
version here:
http://www.perada.eu/documents/articles-perspectives/survey-context-modeling-reasoning-techniques.pdf
In summary, the major modeling approaches are: /key-value models, markup
models, domain-focused models, object-role based models, ontology-based
models/ and /hybrid context models/.

For the ontology-based model, notable are the SOUPA ontologies (Standard
Ontologies for Ubiquitous and Pervasive Applications -
http://cobra.umbc.edu/ont/soupa-ont.tar.gz) - although quite old - which
may be considered as an upper-ontology framework for developing
context-aware systems.

Warm regards,
Vassilis