[Accessforall] Meeting on Context Description tomorrow at 2pm CET

Gottfried Zimmermann (List) zimmermann at accesstechnologiesgroup.com
Mon Jun 25 15:07:25 UTC 2012

This is about the task force of the Needs & Preferences working group for
developing a proposal for a vocabulary to be used in conditions to reference
other context features (e.g. environment, situation, time, location).  See
http://wiki.fluidproject.org/display/ISO24751/2012-06-12+Meeting.

We are going to meet for the first time tomorrow (Tue) at 12:00 UTC, that is
2pm CET.  Please see
http://wiki.fluidproject.org/display/ISO24751/2012-06-26+Meeting+on+Context+
Description and below my signature for connection information and a draft
agenda.

Any proposals for references or readings are welcome.

Everybody who is interested in this work is invited to join.

Talk to you tomorrow,

 Prof. Dr. Gottfried Zimmermann

Mobile User Interaction

<http://wiki.fluidproject.org/display/ISO24751/2012-06-26+Meeting+on+Context
+Description> 2012-06-26 Meeting on Context Description

Tue June 26, 12:00-14:00 UTC

<http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/fixedtime.html?month=6&day=26&year=20
12&hour=12&min=00&sec=0&p1=0> Translate to my time zone

Notice

This meeting is being held as part of the Raising the Floor Consortium. The
Raising the Floor membership agreement, in particular its IPR policy,
applies to the contents of the meeting.

Attendance

Collection of existing approaches for context description

What are current practices of describing context information such as:
environment, situation, time, location?

What is the relevant literature?

What research projects can we learn from?

*	UsiXML
*	MyUI

What are relevant standards?

*	(by Christophe Strobbe) RFC 4480: "RPID: Rich Presence Extensions to
the Presence Information Data Format (PIDF)": <
<http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc4480> http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc4480>:
this standards defines elements such as activities (with values such as
away, busy, meal, meeting and tv), mood, place-is (with the values noisy,
ok, quiet, unknown; for video: toobright, ok, dark), privacy (with the
values audio, text, unknown and video), etcetera.
*	(by Christophe Strobbe) RFC 4589: "Location Types Registry": <
<http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc4589> http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc4589>:
with locations such as airport, automobile, bicycle, bus, hospital, hotel,
library, office, outdoors, place-of-worship, public, and public-transport.

WHO ICF

(by Jim Tobias)

I wonder if WHO's International Classification of Functions is relevant to
this task force: <http://apps.who.int/classifications/icfbrowser/>
http://apps.who.int/classifications/icfbrowser/

ICF is a recognized categorization of 4 dimensions (BODY FUNCTIONS, BODY
STRUCTURES, ACTIVITIES AND PARTICIPATION, and ENVIRONMENTAL FACTORS) that is
intended to explain the concept of disability in terms of roles and
participation.

The last 2 dimensions capture at least some of what we may be looking for;
for example:

*	d3500 Starting a conversation
*	d3501 Sustaining a conversation
*	d3502 Ending a conversation
*	d3503 Conversing with one person
*	d3504 Conversing with many people
*	d3508 Conversation, other specified
*	d3509 Conversation, unspecified

It's not principally technological in its orientation - in fact, it could be
criticized on how it treats the use of technology - but it is the conceptual
framework most used in international disabilities research, and thus has a
certain amount of credibility and familiarity. Even if ICF does not become
our main schema, we might do well to develop at least some parallel
references to it.

Action Items

Future Meetings

Mon Jul 2, 10-12 CET?

Future Agenda Items

	Bridge

1. To talk free using Web click.
<https://www3.gotomeeting.com/join/705233502>
https://www3.gotomeeting.com/join/705233502
Be sure to set AUDIO to Mic and Speaker (VoIP) - a headset is recommended.

2. Or, call in using your telephone.

Meeting ID: 705-233-502

Australia: +61 (0) 7 3123 6029
Austria: +43 (0) 7 2088 1400