[Accessforall] Invitation for a task force meeting on context description

Jim Tobias tobias at inclusive.com
Mon Jun 18 11:16:57 UTC 2012

I wonder if WHO's International Classification of Functions is relevant to
this task force:
http://apps.who.int/classifications/icfbrowser/

ICF is a recognized categorization of 4 dimensions (BODY FUNCTIONS, BODY
STRUCTURES, ACTIVITIES AND PARTICIPATION, and ENVIRONMENTAL FACTORS) that is
intended to explain the concept of disability in terms of roles and
participation.

The last 2 dimensions capture at least some of what we may be looking for;
for example:

d3500 Starting a conversation
d3501 Sustaining a conversation
d3502 Ending a conversation
d3503 Conversing with one person
d3504 Conversing with many people
d3508 Conversation, other specified
d3509 Conversation, unspecified

It's not principally technological in its orientation - in fact, it could be
criticized on how it treats the use of technology - but it is the conceptual
framework most used in international disabilities research, and thus has a
certain amount of credibility and familiarity. Even if ICF does not become
our main schema, we might do well to develop at least some parallel
references to it.

***
Jim Tobias
Inclusive Technologies