[Accessforall] [SP2] Conditional preferences

Gottfried Zimmermann (List) zimmermann at accesstechnologiesgroup.com
Tue Jul 31 11:38:03 UTC 2012

Thanks much, Colin and Antranig, for sharing your thoughts.

I think, we can discuss some of it in today's call, but I wanted to share a
few comments ahead:

Re: 1. Use Cases and User Needs

I fully agree with you.  We need to derive our system from user research,
and user scenarios that are based on user research.  What we have now, is a
first structure to start our first iteration of prototypes, to implement the
scenarios.  We had to come up with some system for structuring the
information that will be derived from the scenarios.

If, after our first iteration, we will see that the current structure
doesn't fit the needs of the users, we can still change it.

Re: 2. Semantics and Authoring

In my view, the conditions are just a help construct for expressing a
multitude (possibly infinite number) of preference sets.  I'll explain that
later on the Wiki.

Re: 3. Tweaks to our JSON binding

That's okay for machine readability and transmission of information.
Anyway, the JSON notation is not meant to be read by humans (developers are
not human in this case).  For the user, we will have to present this
information in a different form (e.g. in tables).

Re: 4. Next steps

Yes, we are just at the beginning.  I expect the following next steps:
- Implementation of the registry database
- Development of approval guidelines (to be part of ISO/IEC 24751)
- Establishment of an approval board for registering common terms
- User research, mainly done by SP1 (which I am not part of) and SP4
- Revision of our current structure based on user research (end of first
iteration)
- Possible revision of ISO/IEC 24751 drafts based on user research (end of
first iteration)
- The same for the end of the second and third iterations

Hope this helps.

Thanks,
Gottfried