[Accessforall] Proposed plan for the preferences working group (incl. context & device task forces)

Gregg Vanderheiden gv at trace.wisc.edu
Sat Jul 21 14:42:18 UTC 2012

Thanks for this Gottfried.   We are going to be setting up the REGISTRY server so this will help

Do we have final  (for the near future) defined fields for Preferences?   We seemed to be close but I don't remember a sign off.

When done lets gather them all on the REGISTRY page

One is set up at  http://wiki.gpii.net/index.php/REGISTRY

The current contents are below.

COMMENTS and CORRECTIONS invited

and Biomedical Engineering
University of Wisconsin-Madison

http://Raisingthefloor.org   ---   http://GPII.net

Name

The full name of the REGISTRY is  (we need to give it a long name as well as the short name.
Very short name
REGISTRY
Short name
REGISTRY of COMMON TERMS
COMMON TERMS REGISTRY
Descriptive Name
Here is a long version -- but we need to see if we can shorten without losing any important parts???
"REGISTRY of COMMMON TERMS for use in describing and matching needs/preferences/permission to available materials, settings, solutions (devices, software, services)
[edit]Purpose

The purpose of the REGISTRY is to encourage and enable all stakeholders to use the same terms when describing the same things (the same concept and value range) with regard to user need/preference/permission sets in the User Need/Prefrence Set server.    The purpose, format (and maintenance?) of the REGISTRY will be defined in more detail by ISO 24751 REVISION (now underway).
[edit]Why is?

Why is it important for stakeholders to use common terms?
If everyone uses the same terms, then it is easier for matchmakers to understand the meaning of the terms and to
adjust them when new conditions occur, or
translate them when a new device occurs, or
merge them if multiple people must use a device at the same time
Why is it called a SET and not a PROFILE
First because the term USER and PROFILE in the same phrase suggests that it is a profile of the user rather than what they want/need/prefer the world about them to look or behave like
Second because there is sensitivity by some people about storing profiles about them (or about people with disabilities)
Third, because SET is a better descriptor.  A person may have different sets of preferences or permissions that they might invoke one of at any time.
Why is the term PERMISSION introduced here
Some solutions (software or services) require permission in order to use them.   Either they are commecial and the user needs to have paid for them (or someone has to have) or they are restricted for some reason (only people with certain qualificatations can use the service) (e.g. belong to a class like 'legally blind" or "belong to XXXX Church which provides the service"). The permission is needed both by the matchmaker to know that that solutions is available to the user (perhaps only in that environment) and by GPII to invoke the service.
[edit]What is:

User Need/Preference/Permission Set
This is what used to be called a User Preference Profile.  It is a set of preferences (for solutions and/or settings) that a person needs or prefers along with permissions (to use commercial or restricted solutions). A person may have many sets that they define for different uses, locations, tasks, levels of fatigue, or any other dimension where they
 ISO 24751 REVISION
 ISO 24751 is a standard also referred to asAccess For All that <need good short description here>.
ISO 24751 is currently undergoing revision to move to this new REGISTRY format.  For more information see  <what is the best URL for overview of status etc?>

[edit]Format:

The GENERAL FORMAT of the RESISTRY is
Flat
There is one entry for each COMMON TERM   (this is a REGISTRY of COMMON TERMS)
The common terms may be used in different ways. For example any term could be used in describing one or more of the following
type of solution   ( software, service  )
aspect of solution  (setting, feature )
aspect device   ( feature, constraint, status )
aspect of environmental  ( lighting, auditory )
measurable or reportable (by user) aspect of user  (e.g. status: tired,  excited (where this would affect abililties) )    <we need to think about this one>
Other context  ( time of day,    )
RECORD FORMAT
Each record has the following fields.  The table lists the fields and which ones are used when the COMMON TERM is used in different ways
(in the end it may turn out that all uses use all fields but this is to determine that)

              FIELDS	Alias	Preference	Context	Device	Permission

Number (generated by database but not used)	<Auto: Not Used>	<Auto: Not Used>	<Auto: Not Used>	<Auto: Not Used>	<Auto: Not Used>	<Auto: Not Used>
IsCore	<illegal>	X	X	X	X
Local Unique ID	<illegal>	X	X	X	X
Value Space	<illegal>	X	 ?	 ?	X
Default Value	<illegal>	X	 ?	 ?	 ?