[Accessforall] [Profiles] "User preference key" instead of"User ID"

Clark, Colin cclark at ocadu.ca
Sat Jul 7 09:58:12 UTC 2012

On 2012-07-06, at 11:35 AM, Jim Tobias wrote:

> I think there's another dimension we should be taking into account, not just here but throughout our work -- the degrees of awareness, autonomy, experience, and confidence of the users. For many, perhaps most, of GPII's intended potential users, the best description of a good starting point would be "for people with low vision" because it's easy to understand and relate to, even if the generic settings will not meet all their needs -- the alternative of walking through all the continua and features is going to be off-putting.

Good point, Jim. We've had good experience in practice, supported by user testing, using terminology that is simple and user-centric yet not specific to a disability, such as "Easier to see" and "Easier to read," etc. I think if we're thoughtful and do our UX design well (driven by interaction designers, not technical folks like many of us), we can find language that resonates with our users yet avoids the risk of labelling and categorizing.

Lead Software Architect,
Inclusive Design Research Centre, OCAD University
http://inclusivedesign.ca