[Accessforall] [Profiles] "User preference key" instead of "User ID"

Denis Anson danson at misericordia.edu
Fri Jul 6 12:27:40 UTC 2012

Is it possible that we are getting into trouble by shaking the wrong end of the stick?  Our language is suggesting that GPII is the locus of control: the user says "here I am," and GPII matches the user to their set of preferences and sends that set to the device in question.  This depends on identifying a person.

Consider placing the person as the locus of control.  During enrollment, the user creates a set of preferences, which is given a unique identifier (the preference set, not the person) and uploaded to the cloud.  In use, the user calls the identified preference set to the target device for use.  When  phrased this way, the identity of the person is never required.  Instead, what GPII is processing is the identity of the preference set.

If this cognitive model works, then the language we use becomes more anonymous.

While there can, in theory, be generic preference sets, this is like the difference between buying clothing off the rack and buying custom tailored.  Off the rack might fit, but it will never be quite as good a fit as tailored, and tailored will generally be preferred.

Denis

Denis Anson, MS, OTR
Director of Research and Development
Assistive Technology Research Institute