[Accessforall] "User preference key" instead of "User ID"

Treviranus, Jutta (Academic) jtreviranus at faculty.ocadu.ca
Fri Jul 6 12:44:24 UTC 2012

This discussion of a generic set is straying a little too close to what people objected about profiling, e.g.,  "for people with low vision". I think whatever we call it we always want to state it as functional needs and preferences even when generic  "magnified, high contrast". People with low vision are not homogenous. There are many different functional strategies that apply. In WebForAll when we wanted to start generic we used larger categories for this interaction from the user's perspective, the utility  had the choice "Make it easier to see".

Regarding set vs. statement, I think we want to also communicate the concept that the user is in control or making the wish, stating their needs and preferences.  Set is technical and mathematical to me. I agree with Erlend that internationalization is important. I wonder whether there is another term we could use.

BTW, my dictionary has the following definitions for Statement:
state·ment   [steyt-muhnt]  noun
1.something stated- written words of something such as a fact, intention, or policy, or an instance of this
• a statement of intent
2.a communication or declaration in speech or writing, setting forth facts, particulars, etc.
3.a single sentence or assertion: I agree with everything you said except for your last statement.
4.Commerce . an abstract of an account, as one rendered to show the balance due.
5.an appearance of a theme, subject, or motif within amusical composition.

Jutta