[Accessforall] "User preference key" instead of "User ID"

Clark, Colin cclark at ocadu.ca
Fri Jul 6 08:00:44 UTC 2012

I also like the term "key." But I think I prefer "preference statements" to "preference sets," as it seems a little clearer and in line with the notion of the user interacting with the system under their own terms.

Colin

On 2012-07-06, at 1:46 AM, Gregg Vanderheiden wrote:

> How about we use the word  KEY and  SET
>
> The KEY is what you pass up to the server so that it can figure out what preference SET to look up / use.
>

> You can have many SETS that you might use.   One for when in private.  one while in public.  One that is Silent.
>
> There can be keys to GENERIC SETS.
> 		- for example - an older person doesn’t have a set of preferences yet and they go up to a kiosk to buy a phone.  The user says 'do you have one with large print".  The person at the phone kiosk (a little shop in the aisle of a big shopping market)   doesn’t really know what features there are or how to set them up.  But they do have a set of tags behind the counter and one says "for people low vision".   They touch it to the phone and it turns on all the low vision features.   If the phones have more than a simple set then there might be several "low vision 1" 2, 3 etc so the older person can try different sets easily.
>
> 		- another example -- a person is traveling and doesn’t want to expose their whole SET of preferences to this unknown machine (that might data mine them).  They only need basic setting on this ticket machine  so they use a GENERIC SET that matches them pretty well and they get it set up but leave only a Generic footprint behind.  (anything of course leaves some info -- but if they don't log in -- there is just a note that someone with that generic profile used that kiosk) .
>
> On Jul 6, 2012, at 12:52 AM, Andy Heath wrote:
>
>> What is the relationship between the keys and sets of preferences ?
>> Is it that one key can be associated with more than one set of preferences ?  Is one set of preferences associated with more than one key ?
>>
>> andy
>>>
>>> instead of saying "user is identified"
>>>
>>> how about  we say "user’spreferencekeyis read (or obtained)"
>>>

>>> In general
>>>
>>> We talk about the user "identifying themselves"  and that info being
>>> used to fetch their preferences all over the place as the first step
>>>
>>> In fact they don't have to identify themselves - they just need to
>>> provide a key that can be used to look up a set of preferences.  They
>>> don't even have to be their preferences. they could be a generic preference.
>>>
>>> This has privacy implications and implies that users identify themselves
>>> in order to use GPII when they don't.
>>>

>>> OK to change our language?
>>>
>>> Someone have a better phrase to use than     "User preference key"  ?

Lead Software Architect,
Inclusive Design Research Centre, OCAD University
http://inclusivedesign.ca