[Accessforall] "User preference key" instead of "User ID"

Gregg Vanderheiden gv at trace.wisc.edu
Fri Jul 6 05:46:32 UTC 2012

How about we use the word  KEY and  SET

The KEY is what you pass up to the server so that it can figure out what preference SET to look up / use.

You can have many SETS that you might use.   One for when in private.  one while in public.  One that is Silent.

There can be keys to GENERIC SETS.
		- for example - an older person doesn’t have a set of preferences yet and they go up to a kiosk to buy a phone.  The user says 'do you have one with large print".  The person at the phone kiosk (a little shop in the aisle of a big shopping market)   doesn’t really know what features there are or how to set them up.  But they do have a set of tags behind the counter and one says "for people low vision".   They touch it to the phone and it turns on all the low vision features.   If the phones have more than a simple set then there might be several "low vision 1" 2, 3 etc so the older person can try different sets easily.

		- another example -- a person is traveling and doesn’t want to expose their whole SET of preferences to this unknown machine (that might data mine them).  They only need basic setting on this ticket machine  so they use a GENERIC SET that matches them pretty well and they get it set up but leave only a Generic footprint behind.  (anything of course leaves some info -- but if they don't log in -- there is just a note that someone with that generic profile used that kiosk) .

and Biomedical Engineering
University of Wisconsin-Madison

http://Raisingthefloor.org   ---   http://GPII.net