[Accessforall] "User preference key" instead of "User ID"

Gregg Vanderheiden gv at trace.wisc.edu
Thu Jul 5 22:14:29 UTC 2012

instead of saying "user is identified"

how about  we say "user’s preference key is read (or obtained)"

In general

We talk about the user "identifying themselves"  and that info being used to fetch their preferences all over the place as the first step

In fact they don't have to identify themselves - they just need to provide a key that can be used to look up a set of preferences.  They don't even have to be their preferences. they could be a generic preference.

This has privacy implications and implies that users identify themselves in order to use GPII when they don't.

OK to change our language?

Someone have a better phrase to use than     "User preference key"  ?

and Biomedical Engineering
University of Wisconsin-Madison

http://Raisingthefloor.org   ---   http://GPII.net