[Accessforall] Draft of new standard

Liddy Nevile liddy at sunriseresearch.org
Mon Jul 2 21:55:53 UTC 2012

Thanks Christobe,
my comments in situ.
> (1) The scope section states: "ISO/IEC 24751 is intended to
> facilitate the matching of resources to user's individual
> requirements by providing common terms for describing those
> requirements so they can be matched to resources that satisfy the
> requirements." But what about groups of users? The approach taken by
> the VUMS cluster does not assume that a user profile can only belong
> to an individual user: "A user profile is an instantiation of a user
> model representing either a specific real user or a representative
> of a group of real users" (from the VUMS Cluster white paper: <http://www.veritas-project.eu/vums/wp-content/uploads/2010/07/White-Paper.pdf
> >).

It is, I believe, made clear that a profile might be only one of many
that a single user, in fact, uses throughout their time. Similarly, it
is expected that a number of users with similar needs will, at times,
all use a single profile. I will try to make sure this is made clear.
One of the problems, of course, is that a set of users may have
conflicting needs but that is not your question, I realise.

> (2) The registry is supposed to contain terms that enable the
> description of needs and preferences, as opposed to medical or
> functional characteristics of users. However, will Part 1 and/or the
> conformance clause state that terms for medical or functional
> characteristics make the implementation non-conforming? The current
> draft does not prohibit terms for medical or functional
> characteristics.

Our work has very deliberately not supported any description of people
- their needs are not considered definitive of them, etc., and we
don't support descriptions such as: resources for a blind person. This
approach is based on the belief that as people are so different in
their skills and needs, it actually does not make sense to do this
anyway.

Liddy