[Accessforall] Draft of new standard

Christophe Strobbe christophestrobbe at yahoo.co.uk
Mon Jul 2 16:39:43 UTC 2012

Dear Liddy, All,

I have a few questions about the current draft.

(1) The scope section states: "ISO/IEC 24751 is intended to facilitate the matching of resources to user's individual requirements by providing common terms for describing those requirements so they can be matched to resources that satisfy the requirements." But what about groups of users? The approach taken by the VUMS cluster does not assume that a user profile can only belong to an individual user: "A user profile is an instantiation of a user model representing either a specific real user or a representative of a group of real users" (from the VUMS Cluster white paper: <http://www.veritas-project.eu/vums/wp-content/uploads/2010/07/White-Paper.pdf>).

(2) The registry is supposed to contain terms that enable the description of needs and preferences, as opposed to medical or functional characteristics of users. However, will Part 1 and/or the conformance clause state that terms for medical or functional characteristics make the implementation non-conforming? The current draft does not prohibit terms for medical or functional characteristics.

Best regards,

Christophe