[Accessforall] Task Force on Context Description - Definition of Context

Christophe Strobbe christophestrobbe at yahoo.co.uk
Mon Jul 2 16:11:48 UTC 2012

Hi Claudia, All,

I find the wording of that sentence rather strange: it appears to say that the *sensors* themselves are part of the artificial entity context, while being silent about the characteristics they measure. The natural entity context comprises the characteristics "that (...) are not the result of any human activity or intervention", so this would include ambient noise, temperature and lighting conditions that do not result from human activity. If the naturally occurring noise, light etc are part of the natural entity context, you could expect the ambient noise, light etc in the built environment to be part of the artificial entity context, but the paper's language is not clear on this issue. Also, I don't see very well how this distinction fits into the operational approach that the paper takes: Is the distinction between light, noise, etc from a natural context as opposed to an artificial context useful in any way? (Do sensors make a distinction between
 these two context? If yes, what difference does this make to user interface adaptations?)

Best regards,

Christophe

    temperature, humidity, pressure,

Fax: 0351/463 38491 E-Mail: claudia.loitsch at tu-dresden.de