Andy Heath andyheath at axelrod.plus.com
Mon Feb 13 18:08:00 UTC 2012

For me the reason preferences are different to resources is that there
is *one* place where the definition of a preference exists - in the
registry. When I say definition, it may not be an actual definition, it
may just be a point of interoperability - i.e. two applications use a
common preference referenced in the registry and they way we know its
the same for both of these applications is that its the same term in the
registry.  I think this is not true of Metadata in general (though it
*is* true of some specific Metadata schemes). But in general each
preference might be used in totally different ways by different Metadata
schemes and in different scenarios - that different usage isn't
desirable - well it would be nice if there were one global Metadata
scheme that was universal, but there isn't and I don't believe there
will be.

I have edited in another point below.

> Okay.  Good point.
>
> So far we have focused on user preferences, and haven't really talked about
> metadata on resources.  I see them as two different components, though
> related.
>
> User preferences are stored in a user profile, and need to be translated
> into application-specific UI settings.  Some applications only need these UI

*or* device settings (with possibly many applications per device).

-andy - end of andy's comments in this email