Gottfried Zimmermann (List) zimmermann at accesstechnologiesgroup.com
Mon Feb 13 09:42:50 UTC 2012

Lots of good discussion.  I have come to the point where I need a picture
for myself, rather than so many words, to try to summarize discussion so
far.  I am sharing this - maybe it is beneficial to others as well.  Of
course, it also reflects my view on things.  Feel free to comment.

Note that I have not tried to include resource descriptions and resource
matching here.  We haven't really discussed this far enough.

This is also posted on our Wiki at
http://wiki.fluidproject.org/display/ISO24751/User+Profile+Illustration.

Thanks,

Gottfried

Here is a short description/explanation of the figure:

*	User profiles are stored in a user profile storage (e.g. a server,
or a local storage).
*	A user profile is transferred from the user profile storage to the
preference handler/translator in a serialized format (XML, JSON, etc.).
*	The preference handler/translator reads the user profile and its
property names (which are URIs).
*	The GPI registry for user profile properties (e.g. at
<http://gpii.net/upreg> http://gpii.net/upreg) contains a list of core and
live property names.  For each property name, human-readable labels are
defined in multiple languages, and the value space is defined in a
machine-readable fashion.  Also, a pointer into a property definition
document may be provided.
*	A property definition document contains a machine-readable
definition of a property (e.g. as RDF Schema file, plain text, etc.). For
core properties, these property definition documents are hosted by GPII.
For live properties, they may be hosted by other entities.
*	The preference handler/translator computes a "best match" for the
application-specific settings, based on the user profile.
*	Application-specific settings are transferred from the preference
handler/translator to an application-specific settings handler in a
serialized format (XML, JSON, etc.).