Andy Heath andyheath at axelrod.plus.com
Sun Feb 12 22:19:12 UTC 2012

comments edited in.
> We need to think about what we are talking about here.
>
> Let me check the thought pattern here and see if we are all talking
> about the same thing.
>
>  1. we have a preference which is stored somewhere -- and we want to
>     apply it to a piece of software (or hardware/software)
>  2. we get the preference and pass it on to something (settings handler)
>     that will cause it to set the applications settings.
>      1. this handler may be custom to the application -- or a system
>         handler if the app uses the system method for application settings
>  3. This handler must be able to know the MEANING of that preference -
>     so they know how to translate it into the setting of the particular app
>      1. the preference is either
>          1. specific to that app,
>          2. or the handler translates it to the specific setting for the app
>          3. or there is a translator in the pipe between the preference
>             storage and the handler that translates it.
>  4. in order for the handler (or translator) to make it specific to the
>     application the handler/translator must have some way of knowing
>     what that preference means in relation to this specific app
>

> Now - if the preference is not from some recognized registry (and does
> not have a recognized meaning) then it is not clear how it can be used.
>
> So I can understand how preferences can be stored locally - -but I don't
> understand how their identification, their UniqueID if you will, can be
> a local site (unless this is something theoretical rather than the GPII
> as we are talking about it.
>
> I had thought that the URL we were talking about -- was part of the
> name-value pair. That is, it was the namespace part of the
> namespace/name-value pair.
>
> In that case we need something unique for the namespace/name and I had
> thought we were nominating the a URL to be the namespace (or the key
> part of it that guaranteed both the uniqueness of the namespace/name and
> also could be a very handy pointer back to where we can find description
> information as to who controls the namespace and where the description
> of the intended meaning for each of the names in the namespace was.
>
> Am I missing something?
> or misconceiving something?

Not missing anything I can see - this seems to be a completely correct
description of the use of preferences. What Colin and I were talking
about was content/services (sorry to confuse) - i.e. what you describe
in your sections 3.1.2 and 3.1.3 above (which might be mediated in a
proxy, so from some viewpoints what you see might not be what you get
;-) ) - it doesn't seem to apply to preferences.

The one thing where there could be some deviation from the view you
paint is where human interface meets the preference store - where there
might be presentation of terms in a local language for example - so the
view one sees of a URL in one language domain (country) might not be the
same as might not be the same as in another, though the URL would be the
same. The only use case where there might be a local copy of a
registered term is where the database or parts have been cached for
efficiency. This has no impact on the picture you paint Greg AFAI can see.

You refer to what is being implemented in GPII - this is of course a
black box looking from here at this point in time, for me anyway.

andy