Gregg Vanderheiden gv at trace.wisc.edu
Sat Feb 11 20:50:35 UTC 2012

We need to think about what we are talking about here.

Let me check the thought pattern here and see if we are all talking about the same thing.

we have a preference which is stored somewhere -- and we want to apply it to a piece of software   (or hardware/software)
we get the preference and pass it on to something (settings handler) that will cause it to set the applications settings.
this handler may be custom to the application -- or a system handler if the app uses the system method for application settings
This handler must be able to know the MEANING of that preference - so they know how to translate it into the setting of the particular app
the preference is either
specific to that app,
or the handler translates it to the specific setting for the app
or there is a translator in the pipe between the preference storage and the handler that translates it.
in order for the handler (or translator) to make it specific to the application the handler/translator must have some way of knowing what that preference means in relation to this specific app

Now - if the preference is not from some recognized registry (and does not have a recognized meaning) then it is not clear how it can be used.

So I can understand how preferences can be stored locally - -but I don't understand how their  identification,  their UniqueID if you will, can be a local site (unless this is something theoretical rather than the GPII as we  are talking about it.

I had thought that the URL we were talking about -- was part of the   name-value pair.   That is, it was the namespace part of the   namespace/name-value pair.

In that case we need something unique for the namespace/name  and I had thought we were nominating the a URL to be the namespace (or the key part of it that guaranteed both the uniqueness of the namespace/name and also could be a very handy pointer back to where we can find description information as to who controls the namespace and where the description of the intended meaning for each of the names in the namespace was.

Am I missing something?
or misconceiving something?

thx

and Biomedical Engineering