Liddy Nevile liddy at sunriseresearch.org
Fri Feb 10 21:54:53 UTC 2012

Are we not over-complicating things?

As I understand it, all resources/services that will be delivered to
the user will have their own identifiers and these can be of many
types - eg - it might be a physical object in a library or it might be
a digital object or it might be a physical event. The main thing is
that it is on the web because there is a digital reference to it on
the web. (That, of course, is Tim Berners-Lee's definition of the web.)

All these resources/services, or even better, all components of them,
will be described so that what suits a user's needs and preferences
can be delivered to them. These descriptions are metadata 'values' and
they will be in all sorts of places, including sometimes openly
available to everyone and sometimes within closed systems.

The terms (properties) that are used to describe the resources/
services will be in a registry so they can be found by machines
processing the metadata values and also by people wanting to craft new
sets of properties (so they can use ones already crafted if possible).

So the only identifiers we are concerned with right now are those that
relate to the definition of the properties and these should be in
namespaces in the registry. I think it is good to have a core set that
caters for a lot of people (with common things like font-size) and
then lots of detailed refinements of that core.

I think we are thus talking about URIs taking us to the registry
(hopefully) or elsewhere if people have properties borrowed from
elsewhere or crafted and stored elsewhere. So we want URIs. We want
the registry to be available to anyone who wants to add new properties.

Is that any need for anything more?

Mitsuharu Nagamori who has been working on this stuff for ages says:
"I recommend Open Metadata Registry which provides services to
developers and consumers of controlled vocabularies.
(http://metadataregistry.org/)"

I recommend taking his advice.

Liddy