Clark, Colin cclark at ocadu.ca
Fri Feb 10 20:44:20 UTC 2012

I agree completely. Indeed, we've modelled the whole GPII desktop architecture as a series of resources at the end of URLs. Components community via REST with JSON-based payloads (containing user preferences, documents that represent the solutions installed on the device, etc.) This allows us to flexibly reposition components, abstracting away the distinction between local and remote resources whenever it makes sense.

Colin

On 2012-02-10, at 3:33 PM, Andy Heath wrote:

>>> I believe a URL gives a means to access a resource
>> Right
>>> - subtly different from where the resource came from (not that that
>>> has impact for the matter here).
>> actually the URL should lead directly to the location of the registry
>> that the info came from.
>
> akh: Not necessarily - e.g. local cache (maybe held in a proxy - transparently to the user) is a good way to speed stuff up (and answers Colin's point from an earlier mail - having extensive references that *seem* to go out to the web is not necessarily inefficient). In fact that might be one way to have an abstract API that doesn't know whether some facility is on the device or remote. We adopted this approach in EU4ALL, a European project I worked on that implemented 24751. URL's are not always what they might seem.

Lead Software Architect,
Inclusive Design Research Centre, OCAD University
http://inclusivedesign.ca