Gregg Vanderheiden gv at trace.wisc.edu
Fri Feb 10 17:20:38 UTC 2012

On Feb 10, 2012, at 6:25 AM, Andy Heath wrote:

> I believe a URL gives a means to access a resource
Right
> - subtly different from where the resource came from (not that that has impact for the matter here).
actually the URL should lead directly to the location of the registry that the info came from.

>  I don't think the URL/URI distinction is important at this point but it might become so after we considered how people and tools interact with "the" registry.  It is easily revisited later.
A URI  SHOULD also lead you directly there.  But it would require that there are universal servers (e.g. universal name server for a URN) and they don't exist.
so for theoretical discussions URI is fine.  But now that I think about it -- I think we should stick with URL so it will actually work.

> I called it ""the" registry" because it occurred to me while I was thinking about the URL/URI question is that there are ways to do this where there are federated registries (which is one way to filter culturally for example) - but in my mind we are talking about a single registry here - as specified in 1.

I think we will have one  COMMON TERMS registry for GPII - but there will be many since each company or creator can create new TERMs for their product(s) and they will not be in th COMMON TERMS registry
We are setting up a mechanism for companies to store them next to (but not in) the COMMON TERMs registry but that is for convenience - not required.  Companies can put their terms anywhere they like -- and the URL would point to them.   At least that is the current plan -- subject to modification with better ideas.   We are implementing one now however since we need it in the next 60 days to be operational.