Clark, Colin cclark at ocadu.ca
Thu Feb 9 16:59:53 UTC 2012

Hi Liddy,

On 2012-02-09, at 1:39 AM, Liddy Nevile wrote:
> I think we should remember that from the perspective of JTC1, a lot of work has been done to make a standard for metadata that is the simplest and most used way of providing and implementing metadata. I think at least for the purposes of JTC1, this expert advice should be noted. Beyond that, as most major entities in Europe use the sort of metadata advocated now by JTC1, I see no reason for trying to invent a better way of doing things?

We're actually 100% in agreement here. I perhaps should have been more explicit, but I see ISO 24751 as exactly an example of that "judicious use of containment" that I was referring to in my previous email.

What we do need is to come up with a reasonable extension mechanism, which is representation-independent (i.e. it can't depend on, say, XML namespaces), so that communities can contribute their own properties easily and in a way that won't collide with others.

> Eric Miller has pointed out that the magic of URIs, as Tim BL says, is that they can always be disambiguated and they make it easy for people to add their own. I am not an expert in optimization but I do know that the use of URIs does not mean that people get lost because everything is URIs instead of words. The usual implementations have clear instructions and wizards for humans that 'speak' about the definitions of the terms represented by the URIs in ways that are appropriate to the audience using the wizards - and these vary enormously without any effect on the resulting metadata.

I get the magic of URIs. My point is about human users of the specification. Compare Gottfried's example (http://myurc.org/TR/res-prop-vocab1.0/) to the ISO 24751 spec. Which one is easier to understand, at a glance?

The optimization question is straightforward: we just need to come up with a non-redundant technique for solving the very important issue that Gottfried raises with his proposal: namespacing.

Hopefully this clarifies,

Lead Software Architect,
Inclusive Design Research Centre, OCAD University
http://inclusivedesign.ca