Gregg Vanderheiden gv at trace.wisc.edu
Thu Feb 9 07:24:09 UTC 2012

On Feb 9, 2012, at 12:39 AM, Liddy Nevile wrote:

> Gregg
> I am not clear what you mean by tags - I think you mean the same thing as Gottfried is advocating, in fact?  properties with values?
>
> Liddy

Actually no.

we START with name-value pairs (as Gottfried suggested)

this is a FLAT listing of all the name:value pairs.

but each item in the list also can have TAGS associated with it.

For example

Speech-Speed:<Value>
might have tags    BLIND, SPEECH, COGNITIVE, RATE, SCREEN-READER

that would allow this (and other speech parameters) to show up in a search for SPEECH or BLIND or COGNITIVE or any other "Group" that it might be associated with.

This makes it easy for example to find all the preferences that relate to SPEECH or SCREEN-READERS or  COGNITIVE or BLIND   and this parameter would show up in each of those groups.  but there would only ever be one name-value pair.

NOTE that the TAGS are separate from(but associated with)  the Name-Value  pairs.     RtF could have a set of tags.   HDM could have a different set.    ANother group may have a hierarchical set of tags that would allow the Name:value pairs to be viewed hierarchically according to someones model.

NONE of the TAG sets however need to be formal and anyone can use any one of them.  They do not define anything.  they are just different ways to of grouping and looking at or searching the long list of name-value pairs to make it easier to work with them.

helpful?