[Accessforall] The Application Block

Clark, Colin cclark at ocadu.ca
Wed Feb 8 23:59:40 UTC 2012

On 2012-02-08, at 6:40 PM, Liddy Nevile wrote:

> As Eric Miller pointed out yesterday, one of the great things about the Web and using the web as a database is that then things can be added without recourse to some agency or authority - this is critical to our clientele, I think.

Yep, that's right. From the technical perspective, in order for implementers to be able to extend without authority, I think they largely just need the ability to:

1. Define a unique namespace for their application or community-specific properties
2. Optionally define a version
3. Store their properties in a well-defined location (using whatever structure and conventions they choose)

24751's Application property provides this, and I can imagine AccessForAll 3.0's Extension property could be expanded slightly to similarly accommodate this use case.

Lead Software Architect,
Inclusive Design Research Centre, OCAD University
http://inclusivedesign.ca