[Accessforall] Thoughts on Metadata

Liddy Nevile liddy at sunriseresearch.org
Mon Feb 6 21:48:39 UTC 2012

I know some people like the ideas to appear on this list but please
can we make sure that all ideas end up on the wiki. Otherwise I think
we will have overlapping conversations and end up with a mess!

I am lucky enough to be spending a few days with Eric Miller. I think
there are major advances in how the web works and what is coming
available. My discussions with him only increase my feeling that we
should be organising the needs and preferences as they are discovered
- that is, they should be defined and we should have a clear 'mapping'
of how they relate one to another.

Andy has talked about relationships between needs etc. This is an
important aspect of a need so that I can have a broad wish and you can
have a very detailed and specific version of that. It is also very
important so that if your system does not know about the detailed need
you have, at least it will know that it is a qualified version of one
of the things your system does know about.

Finally, it lets us be assured that we can always cater for a new or
more precise version of a need - ie we can have an extensible set.

My understanding of the pairs that Gottfried is talking about then
allows us to include the relationships in the definitions.

So while I am not sure what Andy is advocating, I ask yet again if we
can please learn about the needs and preferences by talking to as many
people as possible who can inform us about what they are, and then can
we start to organise them, please.

ps - I am putting this on the wiki....

Liddy