[Accessforall] [SP2] Conditional preferences

Gregg Vanderheiden gv at trace.wisc.edu
Fri Aug 10 20:42:10 UTC 2012

We had talked about the need to refer to preferences as  "needs and preferences"  for communication reasons. (it is hard to get public funds to ensure that people have their preferences met --- but it is much easier to get funding and commitment to get someone's needs met.)

But we had always equated them.  that is  -- we used  "needs and preferences" as a single entity where there is no bright line between them.  (and one persons preference is another person's need anyway)

I don't think we should try to separate them (I don't even think it is possible)

I DO think we need to keep "needs" tightly attached to 'preferences'.  But think they should be thought of as hyphenated needs-and-preferences into a single term and not separated.

and Biomedical Engineering
University of Wisconsin-Madison

Technical Director - Cloud4all Project - http://Cloud4all.info
http://Raisingthefloor.org   ---   http://GPII.net