[Accessforall] [SP2] Conditional preferences

Clark, Colin cclark at ocadu.ca
Fri Aug 10 15:47:04 UTC 2012

Hi all,

On 2012-08-06, at 3:18 PM, Andy Heath wrote:

> axelrod:andy - I haven't followed every twist and turn in this
> thread so I'm guessing and filling in the gaps, possibly wrongly,
> but what I'm seeing here is a debate about whether preferences
> should only be described in low level terms or whether there should be some notion of needs (or something like that, that is at a higher level) in there somewhere.  Am I interpreting this discussion reasonably ?

While it may just be a question of terminology, I don't think making a distinction between preferences and needs is a good idea--we've always taken the approach that AccessForAll doesn't differentiate in any technical way between the user's needs, wants, tastes, etc. They're all important.

The goal of this particular discussion, in my mind, is fairly focused: to brainstorm is a mechanism by which users can express conditional needs and preferences in a semantic and extensible way, rather than a with a fixed set of opaque, low-level boolean operators.

Lead Software Architect,
Inclusive Design Research Centre, OCAD University
http://inclusivedesign.ca