[Accessforall] [SP2] Conditional preferences

Andy Heath andyheath at axelrod.plus.com
Wed Aug 1 18:09:29 UTC 2012

Hi Colin,

Yes I realised this.  My reason for flagging it was because I was
hearing from a few people that it was all solved and working. In fact
the problems of doing it with a flat structure are less trivial than
people seem to be imagining.  See for example my posts about preferences
which have relations between terms in them - particularly my post today
with the subject "What is a term and what is a value" which proposes my
preferred solution to that issue and which would work well with the way
we are doing it in IMS.

It is unfortunately a fact that not everything one would want to do can
be done without either expressing a relationship or some structure.  I'd
very much appreciate your thoughts on this in response to those
mails.  I fear that without a solution to how to express related
terms things will be more limited than they need be.  The existing
24751 does have a solution for that - it does it with container-based
structure (i.e. records (or json objects)).  Structure or relationship
must go somewhere - the only question is where.

Have a happy day :-).

andy