[Accessforall] Alternative way of handling conditions (was Re: I presume our meetings ...)

Liddy Nevile liddy at sunriseresearch.org
Thu Apr 5 22:20:14 UTC 2012

These responses confuse me????

DC is not a language, or a format, it represents a way of making and
using metadata that has evolved over the last 15 years of work on
metadata. It depends on an abstract model that has been carefully
developed (it has some historic bugs, in fact). What we are doing
cannot be just 'expressed' in DC or some such thing - it does not
follow the principles. It seems to me we are building something like
the LOM that cannot be expressed as DC metadata other than with great
loss .

Also, there is little too much 'flexibility' in what we are doing. If
we were developing principles that were consistent then, like with DC
and Sem Web metadata, more could be derived and added. As I see it,
what we are doing is arbitrary and so will be dependent on our (your)
database.

I believe one of the clever things about AccessForAll is its potential
to support cumulative, just-in-time metadata and therefore
accessibility. I cannot see how we are supporting that or the other
benefit of using other people's metadata.

Am I a grinch? I am really really excited about the possibilities, in
fact!

Liddy