[Accessforall] Alternative way of handling conditions (was Re: I presume our meetings ...)

Gregg Vanderheiden gv at trace.wisc.edu
Thu Apr 5 02:18:07 UTC 2012

I think there is some confusion or crossed messages in our discussion..

The database (REGISTRY) does not have what one would think of as DC terms

Rather the Registry contains COMMON TERMS/ELEMENTS/ATOMS that one would would think of as components of DC Terms

The COMMON TERMS/ELEMENTS/ATOMS take two forms.    NeedsAndPreferences  and   Conditions

In DC you usually combine the N&P TERMS/ELEMENTS/ATOMS  and a set of Condition TERMS/ELEMENTS/ATOMS into one string that makes up a DC term

So no one is saying that "refinements" are not needed or not important.  Rather they are just saying that instead of a basic N&P  DC term and then a large number of refinements -- the suggested approach is to have a COMMON N&P TERM be used in combination with varying numbers and combinations of  COMMON 'CONDITION"  TERMS   to make up a  "USER PREFERENCE"  as it might be stored in the a User N&Preference Profile.

This is more in keeping with the way the manufacturers are storing their settings.

What we are doing now is just gathering all the Common Term / Atoms/ Components that would make up a User Preference.  We will then have a  better ideas what we are doing or should do.   Several ways for storing the preferences (several forms) have been proposed and ALL of them can be use IN A SINGLE User record with the structure we are proposing/ building.  As long as each format follows rules, they should be able to be translated from one form to another.    So we can proceed without burning any bridges or having to make any irreversible decisions.

I hope this is clearer -- but some examples and the full set of data will be helpful here.  And we should have them soon from all that we have collected.

and Biomedical Engineering
University of Wisconsin-Madison

http://Raisingthefloor.org   ---   http://GPII.net